Make Every Day “Love Your Pet Day”
National Love Your Pet Day falls on February 20th, but if you’re reading this, chances are you already love your pet as much as anyone could possibly love an animal. But here’s the thing: we all love our animals more than they know. They may not fully understand what it means to be loved and cared for by us, but they do know that they feel secure and happy in the presence of their owner. That’s why showing your pet extra appreciation doesn’t just benefit them, but it also benefits you. Here are some things to do with your dog or cat to show them how much you care:
- Take them on small walks more often! Just five minutes of fresh air can make a big difference in everyone’s attitude. Ready for a longer adventure? Consider venturing out and exploring some new territory. Whether it’s hiking trails in South Mountain Park, or poking around different parts of Cave Creek, your dog will enjoy new smells and sights while you get a whole new perspective on the city you already know so well. Even if you’re taking them to a place they have been before, you’ll both experience something special.
- Take them out to a dog park. Nothing makes dogs happier than running around with other dogs, and the dog park is one of the best places for it. Not only will it tire them out for hours after the fact, but it also provides an opportunity to meet other canines and their owners. You’ll be able to see firsthand what type of personality they have and whether they’d get along well with other pets—plus, you’ll have even more fun playing with them together when you get home! Find a dog park in your area, or to explore another part of the valley, check out this handy list of dog parks in Phoenix
- Make them a special Valentine’s Day treat. Nothing says love like a homemade pet treats. You can bake cookies, pupcakes, and dog treats using healthy fruits and vegetables. Not the crafty type? Skip the baking and sewing, head to your favorite pet store and let your pet choose something extra special for being such a good boy or girl. They’ll love it!
- Schedule a Spaw Day. Give your pet the full ‘spaw’ treatment! A day of grooming and pampering with one of our highly-trained and experienced pet stylists provides your pet with plenty of care and attention. Your pet will go home looking and smelling their very best, so don’t be surprised if they show off a bit. Reserve a spot for your dog or cat at one of our AZPetVet grooming salons. Our pet stylists are experienced in every aspect of grooming. See the services offered by AZPetVet grooming salons, or search by zip code to find a location near you.
- Take your dog out to eat. The Barking Bodega is a farm-to-table cafe serving delicious coffee, espresso, and healthy eats, plus beer, wine, and cocktails for the people, plus some special dishes just for dogs. There’s also two acres of dog park for them to explore, run and play, with lots of new friends to meet. But that’s just the beginning of pooch-friendly places around the Valley of the Sun. To find more dog-friendly patios around town, click here.
We hope this article has given you some insight into different ways to show your pet some love. It’s not about the money that you spend on your pet. It’s about the time and effort you put in to show them how much they are loved. Just get creative with whatever resources you have and enjoy spending time with your furry friend. You’ll never feel more appreciated for your efforts than when your pet is looking up at you with those big eyes and wagging tail.
Bonus Tip: Take them to the vet for a wellness check. Taking your pet to the vet at least once a year is an important part of their health care. It’s also a great way to show them you care! Vets can help you keep tabs on your pet’s weight, make sure they’re up-to-date with vaccinations, and identify any health issues that may need addressing. Need to schedule an appointment? Find an AZPetVet location near you.