Cats are really unique and amazing creatures. Cats are very single minded creatures and they will always do exactly what they want, unlike a dog which will try to please its owner by being obedient.
There are many, many amazing facts about cats . Here are a few of the more intriguing ones.
- The oldest known pet cat was recently found in a 9,500-year-old grave on the Mediterranean island of Cyprus.
- According to Hebrew legend, Noah prayed to God for help protecting all the food he stored on the ark from being eaten by rats. In reply, God made the lion sneeze, and out popped a cat
- Cat urine glows in the dark when a black light shines on it. If you think your cat or kitten has had an accident in your home, use a black light to find the mishap.
- The print on a cat’s nose has a unique ridged pattern, like a human fingerprint.
- Each year Americans spend four billion dollars on cat food. That’s one billion dollars more than they spend on baby food!
- When a family cat died in ancient Egypt, family members held elaborate funerals. The cat was embalmed with a sculpted wooden mask and the tiny mummy was placed in the family tomb.
- The biggest wildcat today is the Siberian Tiger. It can be more than 12 feet long and weigh up to 700 pounds.
- The costliest cat ever is named Little Nicky, who cost his owner $50,000. He is a clone of an older cat.
- In the original Italian version of Cinderella, the benevolent fairy godmother figure was a cat.
- In Holland’s embassy in Moscow, Russia, the staff noticed that the two Siamese cats kept meowing and clawing at the walls of the building. Their owners finally investigated, thinking they would find mice. Instead, they discovered microphones hidden by Russian spies. The cats heard the microphones when they turned on.
- The world’s rarest coffee comes from Indonesia where a wildcat known as the luwak lives. The cat eats coffee berries and the coffee beans inside pass through the stomach. The beans are harvested from the cat’s dung heaps and then cleaned and roasted. Kopi Luwak sells for about $500 a 1 lb.
- .In just seven years, a single pair of cats and their offspring could produce a staggering total of 420,000 kittens.
- The cat who holds the record for the longest non-fatal fall is Andy. He fell from the 16th floor of an apartment building (about 200 ft and survived.