Preventative Care@3x

Common Household Toxins Affecting Pets

Jan 9, 2013 | Arizona Pet Health

Each year thousands of pets are treated for poisoning from being exposed to common things around the house. Some of these cases are due to pets simply getting into things being left out within their reach others are due to pet owners not being educated in some of the dangers that your pet can be exposed to. We have put together a list of some of the most common.

  • Medication One of the most common toxins for pets is medication made for people. A persons body reacts differently to medication then a pets does and giving them medication made for you is never a safe idea.
  • Rodenticide These are common poisons that people have in a garage or a locked closet and so they rarely think their pet can get to them, and in most cases they are half right. Locking away the poison keeps your pet from reaching it there, but once you start using it the rodent can carry it to where you pet can get to it. With pets around the house it is a better idea to try and find a non-poisons option to deal with rodent problems.
  • Methylxanthine (it’s in chocolate) Theobromine and caffeine are both part of the class of chemical compounds known as methylxanthine. In toxic amounts these ingredients can cause vomiting, dehydration and heart arrhythmia among other things.
  • Plants Plants are great for indoor air quality but many can also be toxic to pets. When having household plants around be careful to make sure that your pets cannot reach them.
  • Household Chemicals Pets are curious, and like to get into things to see what’s going on. Cleaning supplies are an inviting target to an inquisitive pet. Make sure you keep cleaning chemicals put away where your pet won’t be tempted to check them out.

Disclaimer: Not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. If you think your pet has a medical emergency, call or visit your veterinarian or your local veterinary emergency hospital immediately.