At AZPetVet, we love animals. Here are a few safety reminders for the Christmas holiday season.
- Chocolate is always abundant over the holidays. Remember, chocolate is NOT good for your dog or cat. It’s toxic.
- Secure your Christmas tree to your ceiling or your walls with fishing line or some sort of discrete string. This will help prevent Fido or Fluffy from tipping it over onto him/herself, or onto someone else.
- Do not put aspirin, sugar or anything else in the water at the base of your tree if you have pets. Some of these additives can be extremely toxic for pets.
- Holiday plants that are hazardous to your pet’s health are Amaryllis, mistletoe, balsam, pine, cedar and holly. Poinsettias can be dangerous for pets, too.
- Candles are very curious things to pets. Remember the old saying about curiosity – it killed the cat. NEVER leave a room with a candle burning. Keep a close eye on your pet/s (and children) while candles are lit. You don’t want it tipped over, and you don’t want your cat’s or dog’s whiskers to be sizzled – or worse.
- Secure any electrical cords for holiday lights so your pets can’t get to them. Some pets like to use them as chew toys, and that can lead to a shocking experience!
Finally – remember that if any pet emergencies arise during this holiday season, AZPetVet is always ready and willing to help out. Happy Holidays to all!
Keep this number handy: Pet Poison Control Hotline: (888) 426-4435
Want more tips on holiday safety? See this AZPetVet post: More Pet Safety Tips