Supporting Your Local Pet Rescue
For all the animal lovers out there looking for an opportunity to give back, there are several ways to show support to your local pet rescue and other shelters. While local shelters and humane animal rescues work day-in and day-out tending to the needs of each animal they take in, they often do so with limited resources.
Here are five ways to show your support and lend a helping hand to the groups that do so much for the animals and people of our community.
- Adopt – If you’ve been considering expanding your family, there’s no time like the present and no better place to look than your local pet rescue group or shelter. As one example, we are a proud partner of the LovePup Foundation and provide essential medical services to rescue pets who are looking for their forever home.
- Foster – Fosters can be lifesavers for animals that are struggling to adapt to shelter life, need to be nursed back to health, or require undivided attention and care beyond what shelter staff is able to provide. Foster families and homes are often the backbones of rescue groups. By bringing one or more of these homeless animals into their home, they are freeing up space and allowing the rescue groups to take in and care for a greater number of animals.
- Volunteer – Hang up flyers for upcoming events, transport animals, walk dogs, pet cats – you name it. Local pet rescues and shelters can always use an extra pair of hands to help out!
- Donate – Along with monetary support, local pet rescues and shelters are always in need of more towels, toys and other supplies. The best way to learn what items your local group needs is by calling. However, some have wish lists on their websites, so check to see how you can best help.
- Recognize – Become a rescue ambassador. Share adoption profiles on social media, express gratitude to the people working at your local rescue groups, give them a shoutout, and acknowledge their hard work! By publicly recognizing your local rescue groups, you’re spreading the word to friends, family, and coworkers who otherwise may never have known about the group and their initiatives. Sharing adoption profiles also increases the chances for the animals to find their furever homes!
Every day, the staff at local pet rescues work endlessly to save and protect animals from vulnerable situations. Without the help of their surrounding community and people like you, the animals within these shelters would not have the ability to improve or the opportunity for a second chance at life. Thank you for caring about animal rescue programs. Community support makes a world of difference.