Dog-Friendly Date Ideas for a Doggy Date Night
The new year brings new opportunities to slow down and enjoy the simple things like spending quality time with your pup! Treat them to a dog playdate on National Doggy Date Night, Wednesday, February 3rd.
The National Today science team surveyed 3,000 pet owners to discover just how much they loved their pups. They ranked each state by asking owners how often they let their pup lick their face or sleep in their bed, as well as how often they say “I love you,” buy them gifts, conversate with them, dress them in special outfits, and simply curl up and relax together. The results of each were close! The researchers followed up by asking single and married women who they would rather take on a date – their dog or significant other – and at least 20 percent voted in favor of doggy date night. Additionally, participants were asked how their dogs make their lives better, how having a dog affects day-to-day life, and the most popular dog playdate ideas/doggy date night activities:
- 64% – Give your dog a special Valentine’s Day treat.
- 53% – Tell your dog, “I love you.”
- 39% – Make or buy a special gift/treat for your dog.
- 33% – Post photos of your dog on social media with a loving message.
- 28% – Include your dog in Valentine’s Day activities with your significant other.
Just like people, dogs like dates, too! You can always go for a walk around the block or play some ball in the backyard, so for doggy date night, try and think outside the box and add some fun to your dog playdates.
Our Favorite Dog-Friendly Date Ideas:
- Hit the Town: Head outside for a dog playdate. Find a park with some wide-open space for your pup to sniff and explore or run free and play a big fetch game. If weather permits have a picnic! Pack a basket with a blanket and snacks for both you and your pup to enjoy. Be sure to snap some commemorating photos throughout the day.
- Spa Day: Treat your pooch to some primping and pampering. If your pup enjoys a trip to the spa, schedule a grooming appointment. If your dog prefers to stay home, consider a DIY spa night. Look into all the different spa products specifically designed for dogs and treat your pooch. Suds up in the tub and get that coat glowing. Grab some moisturizing, dog-friendly lotion and apply it to your pup’s nose and paws.
- Drive-In Theatre: Yes, these still exist! Given the current state of the country, this dog-friendly playdate idea is not only safe for your pooch but also a safe environment for you. Most drive-ins don’t mind if you bring your pet with you, so pick out a show time and pack up the family to enjoy this throwback date activity.
- Shopping: Shopping is something everyone can enjoy and can make for a great outing. Several big box home improvement stores are pet friendly, so you can shop for new home appliances or tools, and your furry companion will be happy to go along for the adventure. Head over to a local pet store and pick out some new swag, upgrade your pup’s bedding, or stock up on treats – let Fido pick out his favorite!
- Car Ride: Hitting the open road– it’s no mystery that a good ‘ole car ride is one of most dog’s favorite pastimes. It’s perhaps the simplest dog playdate idea, but likely the one your dog will be most thrilled about.
Your pup isn’t picky. For them, an evening spent with you is more than enough. No matter how you choose to spend National Doggy Date Night, any adventure where you’re together is sure to be perfect in your dog’s eyes. Enjoy!