Preventative Care@3x

Thanksgiving Pet Safety

Nov 24, 2015 | Arizona Pet Health, Holidays


The holidays are upon us and with them come the hustle and bustle of visitors, lots of tempting treats and potential overindulgences, but did you know that there are also many hazards for your pets?

STRESS: Holiday stress doesn’t just affect humans – your pets may also feel stressed out by the increased activity and visitors. Make sure they have access to a quiet spot where they can go hide out (you may want to reserve a spot there, too).

THE NO-NO LIST: Alcohol, leeks, onions, sage and other herbs, gravy, turkey skin, cooked bones, grapes, raisins and currants are all very bad for animals. Rich baked goods and chocolates (especially those made with artificial sweeteners like xylitol) are also hazards. Keep these stored in tins whenever possible or covered if they’re kept out on display.

YES IN SMALL AMOUNTS: We ALWAYS recommend an appropriate diet for your pet, as advised by your veterinarian. However, we know that temptation (and unattended plates) happen during the holiday season! So, here are some general notes: Mashed pumpkin is a wonderful, nutritious treat but make sure it’s real pumpkin and not pie filling. Yams are also excellent. Green beans – say yes to fresh, but leave the casserole for humans. Mashed potatoes are fine to share, but make sure they’re plain, with no butter or gravy. Small servings of turkey are fine, but opt for white meat over dark and no skin or bones please. Again, we recommend NO ‘people food’; and always check with your veterinarian about proper diet for your individual furry friend!

Keep these numbers handy and Happy holidays!

Pet Poison Helpline 800-213-6680

ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center 888-426-4435

Disclaimer: Not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. If you think your pet has a medical emergency, call or visit your veterinarian or your local veterinary emergency hospital immediately.